Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by, Katarina Bivald narrated by, Fiona Hardingham and Lorelei King


The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by, Katarina Bivald narrated by, Fiona Hardingham and Lorelei King

I so wanted to love this book, it’s pen pals like Guernsey and a book about books, this book should have blown me away. However it did not, it was just okay. I think my problem was suspending my belief; this woman comes all the way from Sweden to meet her pen pal she arrives in time for her funeral. So she moves into this womans house and pretty much takes over her life?? Yes I understand she feels like she knows everyone because of Amy’s letters but really you move into her house??

The narration Fiona Hardingham’s narration as Sara was fine but oh my goodness people in Iowa DO NOT have a Southern Accent!!! She should have listened to Lorelei King’s narration of the letters Amy wrote she would have known that she shouldn’t have made everyone else in town southern. I can’t be sure but I think Hardingham made me like the book even less. Lorelei King only narrated a letter here and there. But let me be clear Fiona Hardingham’s natural English accent was good but her choice to give everyone a southern accent is what ruined it and they weren’t bad southern accents it’s just that its Iowa.

I’m also not sure how to categorize this book it’s a little romancy and middle-age angsty, there were times I had to remind myself these were full grown adults. I think maybe it was a little more leaning towards chick lit than I normally enjoy. Yes this is a book about books (sort of)books are mentioned but pretty much that’s all it was just a mention of a title and not a this is what I enjoyed about said book. Also maybe they shouldn’t have compared it to Guernsey maybe then I wouldn’t have had such high expectations. The characters in this book never even came close to the characters in Guernsey and I was expecting more, my bad.

I’m not sure if things got lost in translation or what it was but this book fell flat for me. And if you are going to give it a try I’d read it in paper not audio.

2 ½ Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment