Monday, February 17, 2014

Sunrise (Ashfall #3) by Mike Mullin


Sunrise (Ashfall #3) by Mike Mullin

The hardest thing for me in most apocalyptic / dystopian stories is what human beings become ; The inhumanity of man, towards man.

What Alex and Darla go through in this book is harrowing it's so awful to think that human beings could treat each other this way, it is horrifying and as Alex says (paraphrasing to avoid spoilers) “I had always believed that the human race would survive the massive volcanic eruption at Yellowstone, would surmount this disaster, just as we had surmounted so many lesser disasters before. But after… (NO SPOILER), I wondered did we deserve to survive?”

One other quote that made me giggle in this very serious story …

“Didn’t he used to be a flenser?”
“Yeah and I used to be a High School student.”
Uncle Paul turned toward me, a sad smile creasing his cheek,” Same thing, but with less cannibalism?”
I snorted. ”Yeah pretty much.”

 Alex’s mom pissed me off in this book, I understand she had a lot to handle but she didn’t handle it well at all! I thought it was so neat that the younger generation is the one that took over and took care of everybody no matter what age. Darla was amazing she is a mechanical genius and I don't think Alex could have ever survived without her, or anyone else for that matter to me Darla is the hero of this little community. I loved how they brought out the best in people and made this safe place.

This series addicted me immediately to me it is a more realistic than other apocalyptic /dystopians because this could actually happen, I live only a couple states away from Yellowstone Park and this series scared the heck out of me, I even researched where the ashfall would be and needless to say I would be screwed and I honestly don’t know that I would survive as well as Alex and Darla in fact I’m sure I couldn’t.

Oh and when you get to the part where the cover makes perfect sense oh my just be prepared!


This was a great ending to this series however I wish it could go on because I would read more, the only thing that I was left wondering about; was the rest of the country/world in the same boat as the people in this book or were there places that were unaffected? Was this little part of the world just forgotten?

But I will be content with this ending and will look forward to anything else this author writes.

5 Stars

Full Disclosure: I received this book from Netgalley and the publisher(Tanglewood) for a far and honest review

My review of Ashfall Book #1  

My review of Ashen Winter book #2

No comments:

Post a Comment